In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present 5 facts about a member of European Bioplastics. In this issue, Dr Norbert Schmitz, Managing Director of ISCC Systems GmbH shares some information about his certification system.
Dr Norbert Schmitz, Managing Director ISCC System GmbH
5 facts about ISCC System GmbH (International Sustainability and Carbon Certification), Cologne
- ISCC is a globally leading certification system covering the entire supply chain and all kinds of bio-based feedstock and renewables. It enables system users to access different market segments with one certificate, such as the chemical, food, feed and bioenergy market.
- Leading companies are using ISCC to prove the sustainability of their products. More than 10,000 certificates in 100 countries have been issued. Several companies in the bioplastics industry are already using ISCC.
- ISCC has been developed in a multi-stakeholder process involving around 250 international associations, corporations, research institutions and NGOs from around the world.
- Today, ISCC is steered by an association with more than 80 members. Global and regional stakeholder meetings take place on a regular basis.
- Independent third party certification ensures compliance with high ecological and social sustainability requirements, zero deforestation and traceability throughout the supply chain. A mass balance approach can be applied.