In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present 5 facts about a member of European Bioplastics. In this issue, Marcel Lubben, President of Reverdia, shares some information on the global leader in the production of sustainable bio-succinic acid, based in the Netherlands.
5 facts about Reverdia
- Reverdia has been a global leader in sustainable bio-succinic acid since 2010. As a joint venture between Royal DSM and Roquette Frères, the company produces 100% bio-based succinic acid under the brand name Biosuccinium®.
- Biosuccinium® is sold globally as a renewable alternative to traditional di-acids. Based on fermentation technology with a best-in-class environmental footprint, Reverdia’s bio-succinic acid has a broad range of applications, from packaging through to resins and footwear.
- A lifecycle assessment (LCA) with the Copernicus Institute demonstrated Biosuccinium®’s environmental benefits. The carbon footprint is half that of petro-based succinic and up to 90% lower than adipic acid. The LCA was published in the peer-reviewed journal Biofpr and is available online.
- Reverdia promotes long-term application co-development with companies throughout the value chain. It will keep working with brand owners and their suppliers to develop mainstream applications for bio-based materials. Partnerships include the development of new bio-PBS compounds based on Biosuccinium® alongside plastic packaging manufacturers and food retailers.
- Recently, the German outdoor brand VAUDE chose Biosuccinium®-based TPU for toe caps and heel counters in its Skarvan range of trekking shoes. The range was launched in 2017 and will be available in stores starting Spring 2018. During the last year, Reverdia has showcased succinic-based thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) and artificial leather with bio-content as high as 60%.