In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present 5 facts about a member of European Bioplastics. In this issue, Dr Sabine Amberg-Schwab, Materials Chemistry, Head Functional Barrier Coatings, Fraunhofer ISC shares some information about the research institute.
5 facts about Fraunhofer Institute for Silicat Research ISC, Würzburg, Germany
- The Fraunhofer Institute for Silicate Research ISC conducts materials research with a focus on developing innovative non-metallic materials.
- For the bioplastics industry, Fraunhofer ISC offers bioORMOCER®, a novel biodegradable material class. bioORMOCER®s are highly transparent, processable at moderate temperatures, and have a very good adhesion to various substrates.
- Furthermore, they are compatible with various coatings and materials and suitable for standard industrial processes. With this material, the barrier properties of conventional biodegradable films can be upgraded.
- Functional coatings based on bioORMOCER® provide: time-controlled biodegradability; antimicrobial activity, also humidity triggered; very good barrier properties against water vapor, oxygen, flavors, and plasticizers.
- Additional adjustable features include antistatic behavior, anti-adhesive properties, and abrasion resistance.
Contact: Dr Sabine Amberg-Schwab, Fon: +49 931 4100 620,
email: sabine.amberg-schwab[at]isc.fraunhofer.de, Fraunhofer ISC, Neunerplatz 2, 97082 Würzburg.