In each issue of the European Bioplastics Newsletter, we present 5 facts about a member of European Bioplastics. In this issue, Christian Lenges, Venture Director at IFF, shares some interesting insights on his company.
5 facts about IFF, USA:
- IFF has an old history – Our organizations have deep histories of creativity, innovation excellence, and a shared commitment to care for our communities. The first of IFF’s parent companies was established in 1889, but our history of doing good with the beauty of art and the precision of science can be traced back even further to 1833. You can read more on our website.
- IFF acquired DuPont’s Nutrition & Biosciences (N&B) business in 2021 – With our combined platform, IFF is an essential partner, uniquely positioned to address our customers’ evolving needs, unlock long-term value creation and accelerate our pursuit of new, creative, and integrated solutions. N&B brought into IFF a wealth of experience and skills in industrial biotech and biomaterials science.
- IFF’s Do More Good Plan’s ambition is to innovate for progress, for people, and the planet – Across the four divisions of our business, Scent, Nourish, Health & Biosciences, Pharma Solutions, we are transforming the markets we serve by driving environmentally and socially conscious innovation, growing our robust research & development (R&D) pipeline, and developing an expanded suite of sustainable solutions to meet and exceed the expectations of our customers, consumers, and the broader market.
- In our goal to further advance the transition towards a renewable carbon future, IFF is advancing the commercialization of a novel biomaterial platform technology utilizing EU sugar beets as feedstock. This provides a portfolio of performance-advantaged material replacement opportunities across a broad range of applications in large consumer-centric markets (e.g., packaging, composites, nonwovens, in home and personal care, to name a few). IFF is delivering material innovation through sustainable, bio-based and readily biodegradable materials which are able to address the increasing demand for sustainable and high-performance solutions that are circular by design and provide significant benefits for the mitigation of GHG. This biomaterial platform is directly aligned with the EU bioeconomy goals and leverages rural agriculture already at scale to provide novel opportunities for sustainable growth – providing an integrated solution of food, feed, fuel, and materials.
- Advocacy is key for the success of the bioeconomy – Together with key stakeholders, IFF’s Public Affairs & Advocacy function advances policies which allow for innovation to flourish, sustainable operations and products to meet our customer and consumer needs, and for addressing global challenges and meeting the UN SDG goals.