Tetra Pak Expands Production of Plant-based Coatings for Aseptic Cartons to North America

As demand for sustainable packaging continues to grow, Tetra Pak has expanded the production of aseptic cartons made with sugarcane-based polyethylene (PE) coatings to their Denton, Texas converting plant. The cartons incorporating plant-based PE will come with a plant-based cap, also derived from sugarcane. The plant-based PE coating offers the same recyclability, functionality and food protection as traditional polymers but made from renewable materials with a lower climate impact.
“This is another step forward for our customers dedicated to bringing more sustainable options to their North American consumers,” said Jason Pelz, vice president of sustainability, Tetra Pak Americas. “As we work towards creating a fully renewable shelf-stable package, plant-based PE gives us one more way to drive innovation and sustainability for our customers today.”

To read complete article.

Versalis and Novamont Refocus on Circular Plastics

Italian petrochemicals, plastics producer Versalis as well as bioplastics and biochemicals specialist Novamont are revising the structure of their Matrica biopolymers joint venture. The aim is to further intensify their role in the EU’s burgeoning circular plastics economy and help to shape the European Green Deal.
In one of the first moves, Milan-based Versalis, a subsidiary of Rome-headquartered energy giant Eni, will expand its shareholding in Novamont to 35%. The producer of Mater-bi will hold the remaining 65 per cent. The companies explained that the new ownership distribution will help to better leverage synergies and strengthen supply chains.

To read complete article.

Matti Lehmus appointed as President and CEO of Neste

Neste Corporation’s Board of Directors has appointed Matti Lehmus as President and CEO as of 1 May 2022. He succeeds Peter Vanacker, who will hold the position until 30 April 2022. Matti Lehmus holds a M. Sc. in chemical engineering and an eMBA. He joined Neste in 1998 and has held several key leadership positions during his career in both the oil products business and renewables. He has been a member of the Neste Executive Committee since 2009, and currently serves as Executive Vice President, Renewables Platform.

To read the complete article.