In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present five facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Mr Edmund Langer, Executive Secretary of C.A.R.M.E.N. e.V., shares some information on an organisation that promotes the development of ecologically and economically competitive techniques for the use of renewable raw materials.
5 facts about BioBag Group, Germany
- The Central Agricultural Resources Marketing and Energy Network is a private non-profit organisation founded in 1992. It is part of the “Centre of Excellence for Renewable Resources” in Straubing since 2001. C.A.R.M.E.N. e.V. is a network association for renewable resources, renewable energies and the sustainable use of biomass. It is financed by the Bavarian Ministries of “Food, Agriculture and Forestry” and “Economic Affairs, Regional Development and Energy” as well as by about 76 further members.
- The topic bioplastics is located at the department “Material Use”. This is furthermore concerned with biomaterials, sustainable building, alternative crops, and bioeconomy as well as sustainable consumer goods.
- C.A.R.M.E.N. e.V. collects and evaluates information to promote the knowledge transfer between the scientific community, the economy and the consumers. The network initiates and coordinates research, development and demonstration projects, and provides support for policy makers on municipal, federal and national level, concerning research, environment, agriculture and economy. C.A.R.M.E.N. e.V. participates in a variety of important associations and committees.
- C.A.R.M.E.N. e.V. organises round about 30 events for professionals and consumers per year. Part of this year’s C.A.R.M.E.N.-Symposium is, for example, the topic microplastics. This section is going to show how bioplastics and other solutions could solve this worldwide problem. Information is, furthermore, spread through press releases, brochures, a comprehensive website with a business directory, our touring exhibition about bioeconomy, and various fair participations. Training courses and lectures are also part of the C.A.R.M.E.N.-service. All stakeholder groups get free and neutral consultancy from our employees.
- Being part of the “Centre of Excellence for Renewable Resources” in Straubing provides favourable conditions to the network. Beside C.A.R.M.E.N. e.V., there are the TUM Campus Straubing for Biotechnology and Sustainability (TUMCS) and the Technology and Support Centre (TFZ) who do research on different topics like biotechnology, biopolymers and many others. Straubing as “Region for Renewable Resources” is perfect to network and to exchange knowledge with different institutions, companies and start-ups of the bioplastics sector. Initially, C.A.R.M.E.N. e.V. is a Bavarian institution, but our activities reach far beyond national and federal borders.