In each issue of the European Bioplastics Newsletter, we present 5 facts about a member of European Bioplastics. In this issue, Peter von den Kerkhoff, Account Executive EMEA at CovationBio, shares some interesting insights on his company.
5 Facts about: CovationBio, Newark, United States
- Founded in 2022, in Newark, USA, Covation Biomaterials is a leading global innovator offering a product portfolio of high-performance, sustainable solutions. The company builds on its rich DuPont legacy of ground-breaking scientific innovation and continues to deliver novel solutions at scale across multiple industries, including apparel, carpeting, cosmetics as well as food and packaging. Through product lines such as Sorona®, Susterra®, and Zemea®, the mission of Covation Biomaterials is to deliver the sustainable building blocks that will enable customers to provide bio-based products accessible to everyone.
- CovationBio produces 1,3 propanediol from a renewable, sustainable, and responsibly managed industrial dent corn feed stock. Products are marketed under the brands: Susterra® propanediol, and Zemea® propanediol. This material is also used to produce the Sorona® polymer for apparel and carpet applications.
- Susterra® propanediol is the building block that delivers high performance in a variety of applications, from polyurethanes and unsaturated polyester resins to heat-transfer fluids. For polyurethanes, Susterra® is an excellent polyol or chain extender that provides manufacturers flexibility when developing high-performing, plant-based solutions. CovationBio supports many polyurethane-related applications including TPU Elastomers and polymers for footwear, performance textiles such as Spandex, furniture and automotive while bio-based PU resins are used for coatings, adhesives, and in the inks market. In unsaturated polyester resins, Susterra® 1,3-propanediol is used as the glycol portion in the manufacturing process. It has been formulated and commercialized globally in a wide variety of products. For manufacturers looking to increase the plant-based content of their resins, Susterra® offers a 100% renewably sourced, plant-based product that can easily be used to replace parts, or the entire glycol component used in the polyester reaction.
- Zemea® propanediol is a 100% bio-based component, petroleum free, used in many cosmetics and personal care applications. It provides the opportunity to meet sustainability goals without compromising quality.
- Sorona® is a breakthrough bio-based, high-performance polymer offering unique benefits for the textile industry. It contains 37% renewable plant-based ingredients by weight and minimizes the impact on the environment without sacrificing quality and performance. Sorona® can be used in a wide range of textile applications and offers unique performance benefits, including incredible softness, long lasting stretch and recovery properties, UV and chlorine resistance, a quick dry ability, excellent resilience, colorfastness, and inherent stain resistance without the need for topical treatments. Sorona® is a USDA certified bio-based product and has received the OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 Certification and blue sign certification.