Ass.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.nat.techn. Norbert Mundigler, Head of Institute of Natural Materials Technology, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna
In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present five facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Ass.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.nat.techn. Norbert Mundigler, Head of Institute of Natural Materials Technology, shares some information on the department:
5 facts about the Department of Agrobiotechnology (IFA-Tulln), Austria.
- The Department of Agrobiotechnology (IFA-Tulln) was established by the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna (Boku), TU Wien and the University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna in 1994. It is one of the 15 departments of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna. The Institute of Natural Materials Technology is one of the 6 institutes at IFA-Tulln.
- The basic idea when founding the Institute of Natural Materials Technology was the substitution of fossil raw materials by thermoplastically processed bio-based raw materials. In the nineties, the issue was completely new, not only at the Boku, but also throughout Austria.
- The business activities of the Institute of Natural Materials Technology are divided into the different characterisations of the raw material: preparation, extrusion, injection moulding, and materials testing. The facilities are quite unique with a wide scale of equipment, from bench to semi industrial equipment. Combined with a variety of equipment, it provides a great opportu-
nity for early stage testing through to commercial prototyping.
- The institute is a success story since 25 years. This is documented through many patents, by the foundation of 3 companies, and by 80 scientific publications. Injection moulded articles are traded under the brand name Fasal® and Bioblo®, thousands of square meters of Natwood® floorings are layed, and extruded profiles are installed in public space. During 25 years the institute has carried out 300 single projects, which have been funded by commerce, industry, and public
- The Institut of Natural Materials Technology is also specialised in efficient and tailor-made optimisation of bioplastics for various fields of application. Bioplastics are not similarly qualified for each application due to partially onesided designed properties.