In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present 5 facts about a member of European Bioplastics. In this issue Peter A. von den Kerkhoff, Account Executive EMEA representing DuPont Tate & Lyle Bio Products at DuPont de Nemours Deutschland GmbH, shares some information on the largest global producer of bio-based 1,3-propanediol, headquartered in Loudon, Tennessee, USA.
Peter A. von den Kerkhoff, Account Executive EMEA, DuPont Tate & Lyle Bio Products
5 facts about DuPont Tate & Lyle, Loudon, Tennessee, USA
- DuPont Tate & Lyle Bio Products’ mission is to provide customers with a competitive advantage by offering improved, higher-performing ingredients from a petroleum-free, sustainable and renewable source. We are the largest global producer of bio-based 1,3-propanediol.
- Our production facility located in Loudon, Tennessee, is a blueprint for successful innovation in industrial biotechnology. It brings together the best of two organizations, DuPont and Tate & Lyle, to create a first-to-market process and product that continues to demonstrate versatility and functionality in the global marketplace. Enjoy a virtual plant tour.
- From “cradle-to-gate,” bio-based 1,3-propanediol is manufactured using a sustainable process that produces 56% less greenhouse gas emissions and consumes 42% less non-renewable energy than equivalent petroleum-based diols. At the manufacturing facility’s full capacity today, that is equivalent to taking 40,000 passenger cars off the road and turning off one million 100W incandescent lightbulbs for one full year.
- Susterra® propanediol is the bio-based building block that delivers high performance in a variety of polyurethane applications, from footwear and waterproof films to artificial leather and CASE applications. Check out Reebok’s most recent announcement on working with DuPont Tate & Lyle.
- INVISTA and DuPont Tate & Lyle Bio Products (CORDURA® + Susterra®) recently announced a collaboration designed to provide leading brands with innovative eco-efficient solutions by combining the unique capabilities and expertise of each company to drive the future use of new sustainable textiles.