In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present five facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Ignacio Duch, President of Kompuestos, shares some information on one of the leading international suppliers of masterbatches, coloring systems and customized additives, as well as high performance plastic masterbatches and compounds.
5 facts about Kompuestos, Spain
- Kompuestos is a Spanish company founded in 1986 in Palau Solità i Plegamans near Barcelona. Over the last three decades, Kompuestos has positioned itself as one of the main international suppliers of a large variety of masterbatches (high performance mineral fillers, additives, white, black, colors and monopigments), mainly based on polyethylene, polypropylene and polystyrene.
- With an annual turnover exceeding 37 million euros, international presences in more than 40 countries, and a production capacity of over 150,000 tons per year, Kompuestos has established itself as one of the leading companies in the sector.
- To meet the growing demand for eco-friendly and sustainable plastic solutions, Kompuestos has started to work on biodegradable solutions made of polymers based on renewable sources. Kompuestos has been developing proprietary thermoplastic starch and is ready to supply it at industrial scale.
- Kompuestos has developed, in collaboration with DuPont Biomaterials, one of the world’s leading bio-based materials businesses, resin formulations for the extrusion of wholly compostable plastic bags with the goal to achieve home compostability, as well as compostable resins for thermoforming and injection moulding applications for the fabrication of disposable tableware and enhanced biodegradable solutions for hygiene articles.
- Kompuestos is planning to have its first product certified OK Compost by summer 2018, in order to launch it on the market by the end of the year. Other products are foreseen to be certified and released throughout 2019.