In each issue of the Bioplastics Newsletter, we present some facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Dr. Massimo Veronelli, Global Sales Director of the Green Economy Business Unit at the Sirmax Group, shares some interesting insights on his company.
5 facts about Microtec SRL, Italy
- Microtec Srl is a private company, part of the Sirmax Group, based in Italy (Pianiga, Venice), which aims to offer biodegradable solutions mainly for the film and single use industry. The production capacity is now about 20 kilotons. Biocomp® is the innovative family of biodegradable and compostable compounds produced by Microtec, certified as OK compost Industrial and Home. All grades obtained food-contact certification following EU standards.
- Biocomp® is easy to process in blow film extrusion, blow moulding, extrusion, and injection moulding technologies ensuring reduced cycle times. It is also using standard press machines without dedicated screw. This innovative material displays a high resistance to thermal deformation with fine HDT at 95°C (without pre or post crystallization processes).
- Company R&D activities led to the development of specific grades of blow film extrusion technology: for flexible packaging, the most innovative solution is the Biocomp® BF 6535, which has a content of raw materials from renewable sources greater than 60% and certified “OK Compost Home”.
- The all-new grades recently introduced in the Biocomp® family are suitable for the production of “disposable” products or “semi durable” items (plates, glasses, pens, caps, etc). They are completely biodegradable and compostable according to the EN 13432 standard and certified with “OK Compost Industrial” by TUV Austria for a 1mm thickness.
- Biocomp® uses vegetables and innovative materials. These ensure a bio–based content up to 90% (following ASTM D 6866).