In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present five facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Mrs Maria Heinze, Project Manager R&D at POLIFILM shares some information on a leading manufacturer of extrusion and protective films.
Sustainability is teamwork – also at POLIFILM (Photo credit: Thilo Schoch photo+videographer)
5 facts about POLIFILM, Germany
- POLIFILM is an expert in PE solutions and leading manufacturer of extrusion and protective films. With 22 locations, 1,600 employees and more than 20 distribution partners worldwide, POLIFILM serves its international customers with solutions for a variety of markets and applications.
- Besides conventional PE films, with excellent recyclability, other sustainable solutions play a vital role in the company strategy. Stated by current developments in legislation, the increasing environmental awareness by consumers and the availability of new materials and technologies, POLIFILM aims to follow different suitable and reasonable routes. Either using renewable or recycled materials like bio-based polyethylene made from sugar cane or developing biodegradable films for enabling alternative disposal routes like organic recycling are ways to take in consideration.
- POLIFILM can offer green, PE-based solutions throughout its whole product range. The portfolio comprises e.g. label films, laminating films, peelable solutions, surface protective films or cling films so far. Also compostable products (both industrial and home compostable) were already tested in selected applications like direct mailing, laminating or shrink films.
- Moreover, active environmental protection plays an important role for POLIFILM. POLIFILM EXTRUSION GmbH, as a founding member of the initiative Erntekunststoffe Recycling Deutschland – ERDE, recycles agricultural films and uses some of the recovered regenerates in the production of other products, e.g. in silage films. By recycling the collected quantities of used silage and stretch film in 2017, POLIFILM has helped save 7,320,000 kg of GHG emissions. Also POLIFILM PROTECTION is working on solutions for a sustainable production. A total solvent recovery system is operating at the production site in Wipperfuerth. Thanks to an efficent waste-to-energy system, only the heat required for production is generated.
- POLIFILM is also a member of different associations – apart from European Bioplastics – like Ceflex, Industrievereinigung Kunststoffe, Industrievereinigung für Lebensmitteltechnologie and Verpackung, among others, and, therefore, up-to-date in all current trends driving the flexible packaging market. This enables POLIFILM to be a competent partner for tailor-made developments and a reliable supplier for all films – also besides PE