Jean-Marc Nony, Sustainable Development Director, SPHERE
In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present 5 facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Jean-Marc Nony, Sustainable Development Director at SPHERE, shares some information on the French family group and leading European manufacturer of household packaging and bioplastic bags.
5 facts about SPHERE, FRANCE
- Founded in 1976, SPHERE is the leading European manufacturer of household packaging, records sales revenue of over 500 million euros and has a workforce of 1300. It develops, produces, markets and distributes: bin liners, fruit and vegetable bags, reusable bags, freezer bags, food-safe films and papers, aluminium trays and rolls, etc.
- In the past fifteen years, SPHERE has invested over 50 million euros in bioplastics, R&D and in its production facilities. It has become the leading European manufacturer of bioplastic bags, in particular bin liners and fruit and vegetable bags.
- Its goal is to develop the certified compostable bioplastics sector in Europe based on potato starch. In 2016, SPHERE developed it business with the production of home-compostable fruit and vegetable bags.
- SPHERE has also reduced its carbon footprint thanks to its range of plant-sourced polythene based on sugar cane.
- The use of recycled plastic raw materials is the 3rd strand of SPHERE’s environmental strategy to end the use of virgin, non-renewable raw materials by 2022.