Catrin Claver, Head of Marketing & Communication at Toro Gips S.L.
In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin we present five facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Ms. Catrin Claver, Head of Marketing & Communication at Toro Gips S.L., shares some information on the broad range of possibilities that the use of Calcium Sulfate Anhydrite offers in the production of biopolymers, such as PLA, PBAT, or PLC, either as a natural white colourant or as functional additive.
5 facts about Toro Gips S.L., Spain.
- TOROWHITE belongs to Toro Gips S.L. established in 2017 and committed to exploring the full potential of 100% natural calcium sulfate and the benefits it can offer to consumers by supporting the creation of sustainable products. The distinctive factor of the calcium sulfate of our factory and mine located in Teruel (Spain) is its purity exceeding 99% and making it one of the most unique raw materials worldwide.
- The TOROWHITE product portfolio of calcium sulfate solutions is based on our joint efforts together with the R&D institutions Materia Novia in Belgium and AIMPLAS in Spain to develop new solutions based on our customers’ specific needs within the bioplastics market. We embrace the unconventional and approach new technologies and application areas, constantly looking for new and better ways to add value to the final product.
- Calcium sulfate is a natural resource linked to a lower carbon footprint than fossil resources. Used for the production of biopolymers, our products offer the possibility to reduce the percentage of required renewable feedstock for biodegradable plastic, substantially increase production scale and decrease manufacturing costs. It also allows to optimize the mechanical properties and increase the spectrum of attributes to be adapted according to the needs to be fulfilled by PLA and other bioplastics in specific applications. ICBP’s main focus is to develop innovative solutions for bioplastics to promote global sustainability at a cost efficient level to plastic converters.
- Used as a functional filler and being suitable for food contact, our product offers additional features that benefit bioplastics used in the food packaging and the toy industry. Depending on our customers’ needs, we jointly develop solutions that avoid migration, add thermal stability, good impact properties, and tensile strength. In combination with other additives, our functional filler offers the opportunity to enhance flame retardancy properties thus enabling the use in engineering applications requiring V2 and V0 rating in the automotive and electrical components industries.
- The natural white colorant included in the TOROWHITE product portfolio offers high whiteness and the possibility to substitute expensive colorants thus offering the opportunity to further increase cost savings.