António Mendes Ferreira, CEO of United Biopolymers S.A.
In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present five facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, António Mendes Ferreira, CEO of United Biopolymers S.A., shares some interesting insights on his company.
5 facts about United Biopolymers S.A., Portugal
- United Biopolymers is a private owned Portuguese company that offers sustainable, biodegradable and compostable solutions for our day to day life. With BIOPAR® the company launched an innovative technology that attends the flexible packaging market demand.
- BIOPAR® technology is duly certified for industrial composting as well as for home composting. It can be used for a wide range of flexible product applications, e.g. protection films as well as carry-on, garbage and vegetable bags.
- BIOPAR® serves as a perfect bonding agent that enables the creation of a bi-co-continiuous phase, when processing with starch-based materials. The result is a very transparent and clear film, which meets the high requirements for food contact. Based on potato starch, the technology can also be applied to other kind of starches. It i possible to reach a bio-based content of 90%.
- United Biopolymers believes that materials processed with BIOPAR® technology convert into a totally unique new type of material that need a new market designation. For that reason the brand CoRez® was created.
- Besides the on-going development of its BIOPAR® technology, United Biopolymers continues its ambitions in research and development to remain amongst the leading companies when it comes to new types and applications of bio-based materials that meet the latest market demands such as rigid and semi-rigid applications.