In each issue of the European Bioplastics Newsletter, we present 5 facts about a member of European Bioplastics. In this issue, Nana Fujishiro from Asahi Kasei, shares some interesting insights on her company.
5 Facts about: Asahi Kasei Corporation, Japan
- The Asahi Kasei Group is a diversified manufacturer centered on chemistry, founded in 1922. The history of the Asahi Kasei Group is rooted in Japan’s first ammonia production by chemical synthesis, using hydroelectric power, which formed the basis for its synthetic chemicals and chemical fibers businesses. Since then, Asahi Kasei has continued to proactively diversify and adapt its operating portfolio in accordance with changes in the economy, society, and the environment.
- Asahi Kasei now contributes to life and living of people around the world through its operations in the three business sectors Material (consisting of fibers, chemicals, and electronics), Homes (consisting of homes and construction materials) and Health care (consisting of pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and acute critical care). The products, technologies, and services of the Asahi Kasei Group create an added value that can help society to overcome current challenges by contributing to a clean environment, clean energy as well as general health, comfort, and peace of mind.
- In May 2021, the Asahi Kasei Group announced its goal of achieving carbon neutrality by 2050 in scope 1 and 2 to create a sustainable world. Biomaterials including biodegradable and bio-based materials are one of the solutions for achieving a sustainable, circular economy.
- Asahi Kasei is moving towards achieving the carbon neutral goal by accelerating its inhouse activities. The R&D expenses of the Asahi Kasei group were around 700M € in 2021 with 34% for the Material business sector.
- Not only does Asahi Kasei develop and provide new technologies, but the group also contributes to foster the biodegradable and bio-based market by being an active member of European Bioplastics.