Istvan Somogyi, Director, HAJDÚFÖLD-AGRÁRGAZDASÁG Ltd.
In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present four facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Istvan Somogyi, Director of HAJDÚFÖLD-AGRÁRGAZDASÁG Ltd., shares some interesting insights on his company.
5 facts about HAJDÚFÖLD-AGRÁRGAZDASÁG Ltd., Hungary
- Our company is a Hungarian agricultural company with a history of more than 50 years. As a result of the constantly declining number of owners over the decades, our company has now become 100% family-owned. In addition to the agricultural experience accumulated over more than half a century, we have become a flexible company that can react quickly to market processes.
- Our main business area is the production of industrial vegetable plants and the production of seeds for several large Western European seed breeding companies. Additionally, we focus on the processing of the resulting crop in our seed plant. In continuation of our innovative thinking, we wanted to expand our current portfolio with an activity that is not directly linked but still has common roots in agriculture, so we decided to add biopolymers to our business activities.
- In the recent period, in order to cover the entire life cycle of biopolymer-based products, we have been working to establish a mutually beneficial cooperation with the most recognized specialists and companies in Hungary in the field of bio-waste management and the plastics industry.
- We initiated the establishment of a Hungarian biopolymer association bringing together Hungarian specialists and companies. The aim is to promote the expansion of biopolymer-based products in Hungary and clarifying the expected and unexpected properties related to them. In addition, it also aims at supporting Hungarian companies to change to biopolymer-based products. Hungarian professionals and companies were open to our idea of establishing such an organization and the process entered the final phase with the founding members.
- In the future, our goal is to develop additional product-specific and tailor-made compounds/masterbatches in addition to our existing supply, to create our own biopolymer finished product portfolio, and to contribute to the establishment of a domestically established biorefinery based on our diversified agricultural relations.