Photo Lars Borger, Head of Product Marketing – Emerging Businesses at Neste (Suisse) SA
In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present 5 facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Lars Borger, Head of Product Marketing – Emerging Businesses at Neste shares some information on one of the worlds leading supplier of renewable diesel and products.
5 facts about Neste MY Renewable Polymer, Finland
- Neste creates sustainable choices for the needs of transport, businesses and consumers. Our global range of products and services allows customers to reduce their carbon footprint by combining high-quality renewable products and oil products to tailor-made service solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of renewable diesel refined from waste and residues, and we are also bringing renewable solutions to the aviation and plastics industries.
- Neste with its partners have developed a way to produce renewable plastics identical to the conventional fossil plastics. The new drop-in bioplastics can be produced via conventional routes, through the steam cracking of renewable hydrocarbons, produced using the Neste proprietary NEXBTL technology.
- Consumers will be able to use the items and packages just as they are used to, with high comfort – and eventually recycle with a good conscience knowing that their use of plastics has not impacted the global warming.
- With Neste’s feedstock basis being currently ca. 80% based on waste and residual sources the approach can be regarded as a valuable contribution to the development towards a circular economy.
- In 2016, Neste’s renewable products reduced greenhouse gas emissions globally by a total of 6.7 million tons, which corresponds to removing 2.4 million passenger cars from the roads permanently. The target that Neste has set for itself for 2017 is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 7 million tons, and within three to five years to reach a reduction of 9 million tons.