Roel Seegers, Business Development Manager for bio-based and compostable films, Sidaplax
In each issue of the Bioplastics Bulletin, we present some facts about a member of European Bioplastics. This month, Roel Seegers, Business Development Manager for bio-based and compostable films at Sidaplax, shares some interesting insights on his company.
5 facts about Sidaplax, Belgium
- As one of the world’s largest PLA film suppliers today, Sidaplax manufactures compostable packaging films under the EarthFirst® brand. Located in Ghent, Belgium, Sidaplax covers the EMEA geographies. Sidaplax is a subsidiary of PSI which covers the Americas from their U.S. manufacturing site in Columbus, Ohio.
- EarthFirst® PLA bioplastic film offerings include non-barrier, metalized and clear barrier sealant films. Our films have natural characteristics which provide functional performance attributes: excellent caulking, good linear tear, stiffness and lower sealing temperatures which allow for higher line speeds.
- The films’ Origin of Life is based in annually renewable, plant-based sources. EarthFirst® films are high-purity PLA with >90% new carbon.
- EarthFirst® films meet sustainability objectives – less reliance or elimination of fossil-based films, compostability, plant-based packaging, material source reduction, and lower carbon footprints. Our films allow significant source reduction opportunities in downgauging and elimination of a film layer in barrier applications.
- All PLA films compost into safe, natural and organic substances and are DIN CERTCO certified to the international standards EN 13432 and ASTM D6400. Further innovation continues in the development of future films including home compostable, and soil and marine degradable grades.